I HAVE UPDATED MY PHOTO.
The previous photo was taken 12 year ago.
THIS WEB SITE HAS RUN OUT OF SPACE.
Most new information will be published on my new "overflow" web site:
Please visit my new web site.
(Both web sites will co-exist.)
I Think, Therefore I Ham!
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
No one is born hating another person because of the color of his skin or his background or his religion - - Nelson Mandela.
Amateur Radio is a wonderful way
to practice the spirit of these wise words.
My web site is all about Hams helping Hams.
Rick - DJ0IP
It doesn’t have to be perfect to be good enough!
ON MY WEB SITE:
I will attempt to help all hams, old or new, to FIND A WAY to make the most out
of their project under their own personal set of circumstances.
Text books and tips from old timers are usually correct, but things have changed a lot in the past 50 years.
We no longer have access to cheap military surplus parts from WW-II. We do have new, modern technology and components (i.e., Ferrite Toroids, Dyneema and Kevlar rope, stranded copper-weld wire, Plexiglas, Teflon, FR4, ... etc.). In most cases, buckets of cement suspended by pulleys attached to a tree are no longer necessary!
Antenna modelling software, low cost antenna analyzers and VNA's enable us to better plan and build multi-band antennas . . . which now, with 5 more HF bands than we had during WW-II, have become very popular.
This site is owned and managed by Rick Westerman, DJ0IP / NJ0IP / G5BMH
Of Practical Solutions
That even 'YOU' can Build
To help 'YOU' have a BIG SIGNAL
Without breaking your Piggy Bank
THE GOAL OF THIS SITE IS TO HELP OTHER HAMS
FIND PRACTICAL SOLUTIONS TO EVERYDAY PROBLEMS.
WHICH TRANSCEIVER? - WHICH ANTENNA? - ETC.
THIS IS NOT A TOP-TECHNOLOGY DISCUSSION SITE.
THIS IS A SITE OF PRACTICAL SOLUTIONS.
- Which Radio should you buy?
- We won't tell you which to buy, but we will tell you what
is important when you make your purchasing decision.
I am privileged to host much of the important work that Rob Sherwood has done in researching transceiver performance. You will find this material under the section titled SHERWOOD FOREST .
- Simple Antennas that work.
- That YOU can easily build yourself, at a low cost.
- Heavy focus on wire antennas and baluns that you can build.
- Heavy focus on using fiberglass masts for antenna supports
- BALUNS BALUNS BALUNS
- IMO, no other area of technology is so vastly misunderstood as Baluns (and RF Chokes). The web is full of all kinds of misleading and/or wrong information on this topic.
- I am still learning and sharing what I have learned. A major part of my learning process is building and testing baluns in real antennas, NOT modeling or theorzing as most other "would be" experts seem to enjoy doing!
- Antenna Matchboxes (Antenna Tuners) ?
- Why are there so many different types? Which ones are good?
- Antenna Matchbox Shootout (The rubber hits the road HERE!)
- Updated 16-JUN-2015
- (New Update currently in progress)
- For Contesters and DXers:
- Rob Sherwood Presentations with AUDIO
- Rob Sherwood Transceiver Tests (full test results, not just a list)
- Rob Sherwood Transceiver SHOOTOUTS
- Rob Sherwood Sound-Bytes
- For Other Miscellaneous Informations and a bit of No-Nonsense:
RANDOM INFORMATION ABOUT DJ0IP
- ARRL, DARC, RSGB
- AGCW - Nr. 462
- SKCC - Nr. 3137
- SOC - Nr. 1215
- TEN-TEN - Nr. 6588
- FISTS - Nr. 15894
- COTA - Nr. 136
- G QRP - Nr. 15935
R E C O M M E N D E D C O M P A N I E S
IMPORTANT: I DO NOT RECEIVE MONEY FOR THE ADS BELOW
I am showing these ads/banners on my web site because the owners of each of these companies are friends of mine and I believe they each have GREAT PRODUCTS.
(BUT DO YOUR OWN DUE DILLIGENCE!)
Radios don't work without GOOD ANTENNAS:
Ham Radio's Oldest Company:
NOT just for SWL's... great product reviews too!
My Favorite Radio Control Software:
The Best Rotor Control Interface:
In the UK:
For Toroids, Insulators, and wire: