I Think, Therefore I Ham!
SORRY: My web site has run out of space.
Both web sites will co-exist.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
No one is born hating another person because of the color of his skin or his background or his religion - - Nelson Mandela.
Amateur Radio is a wonderful way
to practice the spirit of these wise words.
My web site is all about Hams helping Hams.
Rick - DJ0IP
It doesn't have to be PERFECT
to be "GOOD ENOUGH."
Nothing annoys me more than some engineer (who "thinks" he knows it all), lecturing to some new NOVICE why he should NOT do this or that.
Sure there is a perfect way to do most things . . . but most of the time, most of us cannot do it the perfect way. That is no reason to walk away from the project.
Unfortunately I have seen these "know-it-alls" discourage the new ham from trying a solution which indeed would work very well for him/her, simply because (s)he was not able to do it exactly as the engineer suggested.
I'm not advocating taking shortcuts or ignoring basic safety guidelines. Indeed we should always strive to make our projects as perfect as we can; but it doesn't always have to be absolutely perfect to be good enough.
ON MY WEB SITE:
I will attempt to help all hams, old or new, to FIND A WAY to make the most out of the project under their own personal set of circumstances.
BTW, unfortunately even I am sometimes guilty of
doing what I condemn in the first sentence above.
So if you catch me doing it TOO, call me out!
Remind me to go back and read this 2017 slogan! (hi)
This site is owned and managed by Rick Westerman, DJ0IP / NJ0IP / G5BMH
Of Practical Solutions
That even 'YOU' can Build
To help 'YOU' have a BIG SIGNAL
Without breaking your Piggy Bank
THE GOAL OF THIS SITE IS TO HELP OTHER HAMS
FIND PRACTICAL SOLUTIONS TO EVERYDAY PROBLEMS.
WHICH TRANSCEIVER? - WHICH ANTENNA? - ETC.
THIS IS NOT A TOP-TECHNOLOGY DISCUSSION SITE.
THIS IS A SITE OF PRACTICAL SOLUTIONS.
- Which Radio should you buy?
- We won't tell you which to buy, but we will tell you what
is important when you make your purchasing decision.
I am privileged to host much of the important work that Rob Sherwood has done in researching transceiver performance. You will find this material under the section titled SHERWOOD FOREST .
- Simple Antennas that work.
- That YOU can easily build yourself, at a low cost.
- Heavy focus on wire antennas and baluns that you can build.
- Heavy focus on using fiberglass masts for antenna supports
- BALUNS BALUNS BALUNS
- IMO, no other area of technology is so vastly misunderstood as Baluns (and RF Chokes). The web is full of all kinds of misleading and/or wrong information on this topic.
- I am still learning and sharing what I have learned. A major part of my learning process is building and testing baluns in real antennas, NOT modeling or theorzing as most other "would be" experts seem to enjoy doing!
- Antenna Matchboxes (Antenna Tuners) ?
- Why are there so many different types? Which ones are good?
- Antenna Matchbox Shootout (The rubber hits the road HERE!)
- Updated 16-JUN-2015
- (New Update currently in progress)
- For Contesters and DXers:
- For Other Miscellaneous Informations and a bit of No-Nonsense:
RANDOM INFORMATION ABOUT DJ0IP
- ARRL, DARC, RSGB
- AGCW - Nr. 462
- SKCC - Nr. 3137
- SOC - Nr. 1215
- TEN-TEN - Nr. 6588
- FISTS - Nr. 15894
- COTA - Nr. 136
- G QRP - Nr. 15935
R E C O M M E N D E D C O M P A N I E S
IMPORTANT: I DO NOT RECEIVE MONEY FOR THE ADS BELOW
I am showing these ads/banners on my web site because the owners of each of these companies are friends of mine and I believe they each have GREAT PRODUCTS.
(BUT DO YOUR OWN DUE DILLIGENCE!)
Radios don't work without GOOD ANTENNAS:
Ham Radio's Oldest Company:
NOT just for SWL's... great product reviews too!
My Favorite Radio Control Software:
The Best Rotor Control Interface:
In the UK:
For Toroids, Insulators, and wire: