I Think, Therefore I Ham!
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
No one is born hating another person because of the color of his skin or his background or his religion - - Nelson Mandela.
Amateur Radio is a wonderful way
to practice the spirit of these wise words.
My web site is all about Hams helping Hams.
Rick - DJ0IP
It doesn’t have to be perfect to be good enough!
ON MY WEB SITE:
I will attempt to help all hams, old or new, to FIND A WAY to make the most out
of their project under their own personal set of circumstances.
Text books and tips from old timers are usually correct, but things have changed a lot in the past 50 years.
We no longer have access to cheap military surplus parts from WW-II. We do have new, modern technology and components (i.e., Ferrite Toroids, Dyneema and Kevlar rope, stranded copper-weld wire, Plexiglas, Teflon, FR4, ... etc.). In most cases, buckets of cement suspended by pulleys attached to a tree are no longer necessary!
Antenna modelling software, low cost antenna analyzers and VNA's enable us to better plan and build multi-band antennas . . . which now, with 5 more HF bands than we had during WW-II, have become very popular.
This site is owned and managed by Rick Westerman, DJ0IP / NJ0IP / G5BMH
Of Practical Solutions
That even 'YOU' can Build
To help 'YOU' have a BIG SIGNAL
Without breaking your Piggy Bank
THE GOAL OF THIS SITE IS TO HELP OTHER HAMS
FIND PRACTICAL SOLUTIONS TO EVERYDAY PROBLEMS.
WHICH TRANSCEIVER? - WHICH ANTENNA? - ETC.
THIS IS NOT A TOP-TECHNOLOGY DISCUSSION SITE.
THIS IS A SITE OF PRACTICAL SOLUTIONS.
- Which Radio should you buy?
- We won't tell you which to buy, but we will tell you what
is important when you make your purchasing decision.
I am privileged to host much of the important work that Rob Sherwood has done in researching transceiver performance. You will find this material under the section titled SHERWOOD FOREST .
- Simple Antennas that work.
- That YOU can easily build yourself, at a low cost.
- Heavy focus on wire antennas and baluns that you can build.
- Heavy focus on using fiberglass masts for antenna supports
- BALUNS BALUNS BALUNS
- IMO, no other area of technology is so vastly misunderstood as Baluns (and RF Chokes). The web is full of all kinds of misleading and/or wrong information on this topic.
- I am still learning and sharing what I have learned. A major part of my learning process is building and testing baluns in real antennas, NOT modeling or theorzing as most other "would be" experts seem to enjoy doing!
- Antenna Matchboxes (Antenna Tuners) ?
- Why are there so many different types? Which ones are good?
- Antenna Matchbox Shootout (The rubber hits the road HERE!)
- Updated 16-JUN-2015
- (New Update currently in progress)
- For Contesters and DXers:
- For Other Miscellaneous Informations and a bit of No-Nonsense:
RANDOM INFORMATION ABOUT DJ0IP
- ARRL, DARC, RSGB
- AGCW - Nr. 462
- SKCC - Nr. 3137
- SOC - Nr. 1215
- TEN-TEN - Nr. 6588
- FISTS - Nr. 15894
- COTA - Nr. 136
- G QRP - Nr. 15935
R E C O M M E N D E D C O M P A N I E S
IMPORTANT: I DO NOT RECEIVE MONEY FOR THE ADS BELOW
I am showing these ads/banners on my web site because the owners of each of these companies are friends of mine and I believe they each have GREAT PRODUCTS.
(BUT DO YOUR OWN DUE DILLIGENCE!)
Radios don't work without GOOD ANTENNAS:
Ham Radio's Oldest Company:
NOT just for SWL's... great product reviews too!
My Favorite Radio Control Software:
The Best Rotor Control Interface:
In the UK:
For Toroids, Insulators, and wire: