MFJ ANTENNA MATCHBOXES
DJ0IP’s "OPINION" ABOUT MFJ MATCHBOXES
MFJ is a major player in the antenna matchbox market.
In fact, MFJ is “THE” major player in the antenna matchbox market.
More people use MFJ matchboxes than all other matchboxes from all other manufacturers combined.
Before we continue, please be sure you understand that point.
NOW HERE’S THE NITTY GRITTY:
- The technical level of the average licensed ham is significantly lower than it was 25 years ago.
- THIS IS NOT NECESSARILLY A BAD THING. I am only stating a fact.
- More people own MFJ matchboxes than all other matchbox manufacturers’ products combined.
- It is only logical that more MFJ matchboxes will break in the field than all others. After all there are more of them out there!
- The single biggest cause of matchbox failure/breakage is operator inflicted.
- MFJ is not guilty of building poor matchboxes; instead MFJ’s MARKETING is guilty of broadcasting confusing messages about their matchbox products. They have consistantely published confusing statements about matchbox power capabilities. For facts on this, see: ATU Power RATINGS.
- As a result of this long-term overstating of the Power Ratings of MFJ matchboxes, customers have been mislead into believing their matchboxes can handle more power than they actually can.
- It is no wonder that many hams have burned up their matchboxes, as a result of the false expectation level set by past MFJ marketing.
· THIS IS CLEARLY A MARKETING PROBLEM, NOT A TECHNOLOGY PROBLEM.
The MFJ matchboxes in general are as good as any other make and certainly worth their price.
· With proper understanding of their power level, and proper use, they will last a lifetime. (My oldest MFJ matchbox is almost 30 years old and still in perfect condition).
IMPORTANT: MFJ HAS CLEANED UP ITS ACT.
Recent products are now advertised showing Output Power ratings instead of Input Power rating.
This will avoid lots of problems in the future.
PERSONAL INFORMATION ABOUT DJOIP:
- I have owned over 30 antenna matchboxes in my ham radio career.
- I currently own 7 different matchboxes.
- 1 of them is 50 years old. I will keep it for sentimental reasons.
- 6 of my matchboxes are used regularly.
- 3 of the 6 matchboxes are MFJ matchboxes.
- I understand matchbox technology fairly well and know when and where to use each matchbox.
- I am VERY satisfied with these three MFJ matchboxes. They are keepers.
Many people like to brag about their station. If you are one of these guys, well you should probably buy something else. If on the other hand you are looking for a good solution for a fair price, you should consider an MFJ matchbox. If you use it properly, you won’t have problems.