SPIDERBEAM ALUMINUM MASTS
Spiderbeam Aluminum Masts were developed to give the traveling DX-peditioner or Contester a lightweight transportable mast for erecting his lightweight Spiderbeam Yagi antenna.
Home Installations have also benefited from this inovative technology. As an Old Timer with lots of experience climbing towers, I can assure you that it is much easier to stand on the ground and push your lightweight Spiderbeam (or similar) up on a lightweight telescoping push-up aluminum mast than it is to climb a tower.
Most of the masts Spiderbeam sells can be erected by a single person, even with a Portable Spiderbeam on them. With the Heavy Duty Spiderbeam on them, the longer masts will probably need 2 people for the installation, though younger/stronger OM still manage to erect it alone.
For all but the short 10m mast, it is beneficial to have a short step ladder available with one or two steps. It is actually easier to pull the segments up than to push them up.
Fundamentally the masts come in two versions:
- Ideal for supporting the "Portable Spiderbeam" and other wire antennas.
- May also support the "HD Spiderbeam" but with height limitations. For more on this, see Beam Height on Mast.
- May also be used for supporting most Hex Beams, but you MUST follow the same height limitations as shown for the HD Spiderbeam
- Heavy Duty:
- Ideal for supporting the "HD Spiderbeam".
- No height limitations for mounting the beam.
- Most Hex Beams (ca. 25 lbs. weight) can be mounted on these at full height, with an adapter.
- All masts use AlMgSi0,5 (EN AW-6060 - 3.3206) aluminum.
- The segments (tubes) come in different sizes, with the outside diameter (OD) varying from 30 to 80mm, in 5mm increments.
- The length of each tube may be different from one mast type to another, even though their diameters are the same.
- The wall thickness on all tubes is 2mm, regardless of size of the tube.
- The inside diameter (ID) is always 4mm less than the outside diameter (OD)
You will find more information in the menu on the top left of this page.