Users are often confused by the similarities of the names of the two types of Jacks/Plugs used in TEN-TEC radios:


Written explanations of the two sometimes add to the confusion.

A picture is worth 1000 words.




RCA PHONO PLUGS in general are used as connectors for shielded cable carrying signals.  These can be Audio or RF signals.  However they may also be used for other purposes, such as auxillary 13vdc cables, or basically anything using two wires.  The barrel is usually grounded, but that is not a requirement.


The original Eagle used these plugs only for its two auxillary 13vdc jacks on the rear panel.


Later models included one additional RCA PHONO JACK which could be used for other optional connections.  For instance you could wire the IF out through this Jack to an external Panadaptor.


OR, you could add a second such PHONO JACK to the Eagle's back panel and interrupt the internal antenna line of the receiver, enabling you to connect an external preselector or noise canceller.


This type of connector comes in just one standard size.

PHONE JACKS AND PLUGS are typically used in transceivers for things like connecting a code key or paddle, and for connecting the headphones.  They are also typically used for connecting an external speaker.  


The JACK shown in the picture does not include a switch but some jacks do.  This switch can enable turning off the internal speaker when an external speaker is connected, or for turning off the internal speaker when headphones are connected.


PHONE JACKS and PLUGS come in 3 standard sizes:

  • 6.3mm (one quarter inch)
  • 3.5mm (one eighth inch)
  • 2.5mm

Originally there were versions with just 2 or 3 connections.

Later versions had 4 or more connections.


It is very rare to find this type of connector used as an RF connection but many years ago, at least one VHF rig used this for its external antenna connection.  NOT A GOOD IDEA!